“Agricultural is the largest industry in Pennsylvania, but people are surprised to learn that Allegheny County remains home to many active farms. The Allegheny County Agricultural Land Preservation Program helps ensure local agricultural production will continue in our county for future generations.”
To protect viable farmland by acquiring conservation easements which prevent the development or improvement of the land for any purpose other than agricultural production.
Purpose of the Program
- Encourage landowners to make a long-term commitment to agriculture by offering them financial incentives and security of land use,
- Protect normal farming operations in agricultural security areas from incompatible non-farmland uses that may render farming impracticable,
- Protect normal farming operations from complaints of public nuisance against normal farming operations,
- Assure conservation of viable agricultural lands to protect the agricultural economy of the Commonwealth,
- Provide compensation to landowners in exchange for their relinquishment of the right to develop their private property,
- Encourage financial partnerships between State and local governments with nonprofit entities in order to increase the funds available for agricultural conservation easement purchases, and
- Maximize agricultural conservation easement purchase funds and protect the investment of taxpayers in agricultural conservation easements.